Monday, November 3, 2014

Switched

Author: Amanda Hocking
Series: Trylle Trilogy, #1
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date: January 3, 2012
When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. Eleven years later, Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. She's not the person she's always believed herself to be, and her whole life begins to unravel—all because of Finn Holmes.

Finn is a mysterious guy who always seems to be watching her. Every encounter leaves her deeply shaken, though it has more to do with her fierce attraction to him than she'd ever admit. But it isn't long before he reveals the truth: Wendy is a changeling who was switched at birth—and he's come to take her home.

Now Wendy's about to journey to a magical world she never knew existed, one that's both beautiful and frightening. And where she must leave her old life behind to discover who she's meant to become...,
Don't be fooled. Behind this beautiful cover is yet another typical young adult, half-baked novel. I should have put this back on the shelf the moment I read "mysterious guy who always seems to be watching her." To be honest, Switched had so much wonderful potential, but that potential comes crashing down after the one-third mark.
A couple things made that day stand out more than any other: it was my sixth birthday, and my mother was wielding a knife.
It starts out the same way almost every magic-themed Disney Channel movie does, with a mysterious event that occurs in the protagonist's childhood leading to them going to a new school in the present day. Wendy sits on the lowest of the popularity chain.
Everywhere I went, kids never seemed to like me. Even before I said or did anything. I felt like I had something wrong with me and everyone knew it. I tried getting along with the other kids, but I'd only take getting pushed for so long before I pushed back. Principals and deans were quick to expel me, probably sensing the same things the kids did.

I just didn't belong.
Her parents are dead. The only reason she cares about graduating at all is because of her loving and overly protective brother Matt and aunt Maggie. To top it off, the other new kid is her own personal stalker, with handsome looks and mysterious airs to go with.

I was about to lose hope, until Wendy actually starts to interact with Finn and doesn't fall for him right off the bat. Had the author intended to subvert the nauseating, unrealistic tropes that run rampant in urban fantasy?
The idea of Finn being a romantic prospect hadn't crossed Matt's mind before, and he suddenly tensed up, looking at me with a new scrutiny. Fortunately for him, that idea hadn't crossed my mind either.
She confronts Finn for acting like a stalker.
"You're always staring at me," I persisted. "It's weird. You're weird."
When he continues with his behavior and begins to spout some silly troll nonsense, she tells him to high-tail it out of here.
"...after what I went through with my mother, I'm not read to let another crazy person into my life. So you have to go."
She feels reasonably scared, refusing to let any attraction between them blind her. Finally!
"You have lost your mind," I trembled in shock and fear, not knowing what to think. I should have thrown him out of my room, but then again, I never should've let him in.
Alright!
"I look at you because I can't look away," Finn answered finally.

"That's kind of creepy," I said at last, but my words came out weak instead of accusatory.
Yes—Wait, what.
I couldn't get a read on the way I felt about Finn. Most of the time he seemed weird and bordering on creepy. But then we had that glorious moment when we danced together, before he completely shattered it.

Even now, after the way he'd treated me, I couldn't shake how wonderful it had felt being in his arms like that. 
No, stop.
A very small part of me felt excited about the prospect of going to his room with him. That sounded like the start of a fantasy I might have. But the way he was looking at me now, I was afraid he might kill me once we were in private.
*sigh*

In the two meetings between himself and Wendy, Finn had done nothing but insult her. For the rest, he continued to act condescending toward her, showing disapproval over any action she makes, Sometimes he struck me as more of a father than a love interest, just like my feelings for a certain YA character *cough*Dimitri*cough*. When he genuinely returned Wendy's feelings, that was probably one of the biggest shocks of my life. When, where and how did this happen?

There is certainly no appeal in Wendy herself. Like I said, she was awesome in the beginning, but then insta-love happened, and she was taken to the Troll sanctuary. She had morphed soon into a whiny stereotypical princess that needed rescuing. Everyone kept raving all about her great abilities, but we only see a small, weak glimpse of it in the first couple of chapters. I doubted that she was as powerful as everyone thought she was. And to me, while it might be realistic for any teenage girl in her situation, what she did in the end was too cowardly for me to stomach. I lost all respect for Wendy right there and then.

I did love the complexity of the side-characters, such as Tove and both of Wendy's mothers. Loki, a new character featured in the short story The Vitra Attacks, promises to be a lovely addition. Sorry, guys. I have a thing for fictional bad boys with a way with words.

But it wasn't enough. Just as I feared, Switched had ended up to be too clichéd and uneventful for me to enjoy, with nothing to make it stand out from others from its kind. Girl goes to new school, has a hard time making friends, falls in love with mysterious guy, gets stalked by mysterious guy, and discovers that he is more than meets the eye. Even discovers that she is different too. Together, they must fight against lame, non-threatening villains and their love being torn apart by a triangle. Lather, rinse, repeat. Yawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment